This is my own tried and true formula, gleaned from lots of research, learning, and application. I…
- Cleaned up my gut. (See complete discussion of that subject here)
- Cleaned up my diet. (Stopped eating sugar, white carbs, and dairy for at least 6 mo—actually it was more like 2 years)
- Stopped taking antibiotics—once I cleaned up my gut and my diet. Overuse of antibiotics is a vicious cycle. You get sick, take an antibiotic which strips your gut of any good flora as well as bad bacteria. If you don’t replenish your gut with probiotics you’ll just get infected with the first bacterial illness that comes along, forcing you to take more antibiotics, and, yeah, well, you can see where this is going. When I feel something coming on, I act to PREVENT it. Whenever I feel the slightest twinge (usually in my throat) that feels like it could turn in to a cold or flu, I immediately start taking extra garlic (I use Kyolic Immune Formula 103) and drink Traditional Medicinals Throat Coat tea. I keep drinking the tea (according to the directions on the box) until I no longer feel any tickle or soreness whatsoever in my throat. These days it happens rarely and when it does, it only takes a single cup to dispel it. I keep taking the extra garlic for at least 3 days. I take one a day as routine. It keeps the arteries open (nullifying the need to take an aspirin every day) and keeps the “bugs” at bay.
- Stopped getting flu shots. The last time I had the flu? Right after I took a flu shot in 1995. If you’re keeping your immune system up, you don’t need a flu shot unless you’re a baby or you’re old and sick.
- Started doing resistance exercise. For me, it started by walking up and down a huge hill every day. When I left the hilly town, I bought a manual treadmill. Now I use resistance bands and do HIIT on the exercise bike.
Here’s what I do every day to ensure my immune system stays in good working order.
- Eat at least ¼ cup of organic, plain, live culture yogurt.
- Take one capsule of Kyolic Immune Formula 103.
- Take at least 1 T of apple cider vinegar (on the opposite end of the day from when I eat my yogurt. J) I mix it with cold sparkling water and 6 drops of liquid Stevia and call it my evening “cocktail.” If you know you are going to eat a heavy carb meal, taking the ACV before the meal helps alleviate post-meal discomfort (providing you don’t overeat).
- Take a high quality multi-vitamin/trace mineral supplement.
- Keep my diet as clean as possible.
What I don’t do:
- I don’t eat sugar. (Sugar actually depresses the immune system.)
- I don’t eat any non-organic dairy products. They contain antibiotics.
Image courtesy of David Castillo Dominici and FreeDigitalPhotos.net